Friday, October 9, 2009

Crock Pot Fever!

There are a lot of things I love about my job, but cooking isn't one of them. Dinner time is usually very stressful for me. I never know what to make, and then I put it off until the last minute so at 5 o'clock I'm stressing out in the kitchen trying to throw something half decent together. I'm usually starving though and fried from my day and the kids are grouchy and hungry too, so most the time I just bag the idea of cooking and call Taber to tell him to bring home take out. Yeah, not good for our diets, or our budget, or poor Taber's sanity. He's had a long day too and I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is wait in line for take out (or eat Ramen, which is the other alternative.)

So anyway, long story short, I went to a fireside where Julie Beck was speaking, and SHE said that she puts her dinner on as soon as she cleans up breakfast. Genius!! Mornings are much more sane than late afternoons. If I could get my dinner on early it would make everything so smooth and easy. So I asked my friends for their crock pot recipes and got to work. We had a fabulous week of tasty meals, and best of all, it was soooo EASY!! And made my afternoons so much more calm and peaceful. I'm going to try some more but here are 4 that I loved from last week.

Savory Whole Chicken:
This chicken was out of this world delicious!! Click here for the recipe. After you make the rub you spread it all over the chicken and then just stick it in the pot, no water or anything. The chicken makes it's own juices as it cooks and OH MAN!! That broth is mouth watering! Next time I'll throw some carrots and potatoes in the broth an hour before it finishes. I also pulled the chicken out of the crock pot and put it in the oven on broil for 5 minutes to crisp the skin. (oh yeah, and I only used half a tsp of cayenne pepper and it still had a little kick)


Chicken in the fabulous broth after cooking all day.

Chicken after crisping the skin in the oven.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

Another tasty one. I've actually done this one twice it was so good! (also makes GREAT leftovers!)
4 chicken breast halves (mine were still frozen)
2 15 oz cans of black beans, undrained
2 15 oz cans of Mexican stewed tomatoes, or Rotel Tomatoes (I used the mild rotel ones)
1 cup salsa (mild, medium, or hot, whichever you prefer) I used pace picante mild.
4 oz can chopped green chilies
14 1/2 oz can tomato sace
Tortilla chips
2 cups grated cheese

1)combine all ingreidents except chips and cheese in large slow cooker
2)Cover, cook on low 8 hours
3) Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and slice into bite size pieces. Stir into soup.
4) Serve with Chips and cheese on top.

Tortilla soup in the pot and below with chips and cheese.



Nicole's Creamy Chicken
I didn't know what to call this one so I named it after my friend who gave me the recipe! It's super easy. Just combine an 8oz brick of cream cheese, 1 packet of lipton onion soup, and one can of cream of chicken soup (I used a hand mixer to blend them) Then put the mixture on top of 4 frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot and cook on low for about 5 hours. Shred the chicken and serve with rice. The flavor is rich and my KIDS LOVED IT!! Teya had seconds both times I made this and ate the leftovers the next day. Taber loved this too and seriously ate like 5 servings worth.


Salsa Chicken
Another super easy one. Just dump a jar of salsa on top of 3 or 4 frozen chicken breasts. Cook on low for 5 hours or so. Shred the chicken and serve on tortillas with all the fixins!

Salsa chicken in the pot and with the fixin's below!

Hope you enjoy the recipes and that they help make your dinner time a more relaxing part of your day! (p.s. I'm always looking for more crock pot recipes, if you have a good one please send it my way!)

17 comments:

Maren said...

I am officially jealous. Caleb just broke my crock pot last night. I was a little bitter, but now seeing all these wonderful crock pot recipes, I am jealous that you have a working crock pot.

Rachel Uda Murdock said...

Wow! You're like, totally gourmet! Thx for the recipes and pics. The pictures make me actually want to try those. Just wonder if my picky kids will eat it.

Mel said...

You go girl!!! Happy cooking!

Cecia said...

Wow, this post totally made me hungry! I am definitely going to try the whole chicken recipe!

JamieLynn said...

Yummy! I just can't decide which one to make!!

Brooke said...

What a good idea! I am making the creamy chicken tonight. Thanks!

Cameron and Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing all of these! We all know I pretty much never cook. Going to have to try these next week! And that tortilla soup is making my mouth water thinking about it again! :)

Tara said...

Yes!! Thank you, I've been waiting for this! They all look SO good and crazy easy. That chicken is making my mouth water. I need to get a bigger crockpot though, we still haven't graduated from our junior size one we got for our wedding. Now I know what to ask for for Christmas. I'm gonna do the other two though! Thanks Becca!

Kristen said...

I, too, am a big fan of the crockpot. Thanks for the new recipes!

Jodi said...

You have once again inspired me. I am going to my kitchen right now to plan out crock pot recipes for next week. I would do two crock pot meals a week when it was just Callie and it was so great. I have gotten out of the habit and I want to try it again!

Erin said...

I put a round roast (the stringy kind) a packet of onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom plus a little bit of water (just a few ounces). Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve over rice or add potatoes and carrots the last hour of cooking. Sometimes I skip the cream of mushroom and add a packet of brown gravy mix (combine with a cup of cold water first so it doesn't clump) an hour or so before serving.

Pae and Guy said...

I'm coming to your house for snacks!

Naomi Hanks said...

Whoa! I'm suddenly very hungry!!! Looks like you are becoming professional at everything Bec! Way to go! Can't wait till you come out here again and feed me! :)

laurel said...

Love this post... can't wait to make these!

Norma said...

check out this site fro tons of recipes:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007_11_25_archive.html

She cooked in her crockpot everyday for a year!!!

Jolley's said...

FANCY! Great post! If you want a variation on the salsa chicken you can add brown sugar and a can of coke and it tastes like sweet "Cafe-Rio" chicken. (or you could substitute for pork).

Also another one I do is meatballs with grape jelly and chili sauce.

Or for a Hawaiian version of meatballs add a can of chunked pineapples (juice and all) BBQ sauce, and sliced green bell peppers and onions


Have fun Crock-pot-cooking...

Nicole said...

Glad you tried them and they were a hit with your family! Makes it all worth it!! As for the "Nicole's chicken," I feel guilty calling it mine. I got it from Amy Jensen years ago, and she calls it "Crock Pot Chicken." I hope you try the variation I gave you sometime also. I love that one just as much.